Getting things done in Northwest Indiana
AmeriCorps is an opportunity to change your life and the lives of those around you. It’s a chance to apply your skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the
community. And, a chance to gain new skills and experiences that last a lifetime.
Each year, United Way of Porter County AmeriCorps program offers a variety of experience and activities in Northwest Indiana. Members receive a modest living stipend during their terms.
Full-time members who serve 1,700 hours can also receive childcare and health insurance benefits.
In addition, members who complete their service earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for college, graduate school or to pay back qualified student loans. Members ages 55+ can donate
their education award to their children, grandchildren and foster children. Loan forbearance is also available to AmeriCorps members during their service terms.
Whether your service makes our community safer, gives a child a second chance, or support area nonprofits, you’ll help get things done through AmeriCorps!
As an AmeriCorps member, you can:
- Tutor and mentor disadvantaged youth
- Manage or operate after-school programs
- Help communities respond to disasters
- Build organizational capacity
- Improve financial literacy
Serving in Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, and Porter counties.
Who can apply?
- 18 years of age at commencement of service.
- US Citizen, US national or lawful permanent resident alien of the US.
- Have a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate (or agrees to obtain a high school diploma or its equivalency).
How to apply:
Please review the application instructions below before applying. Begin your application by clicking the Apply Now button below. This will take you to the program application page.
- On the program application page, click the Apply Now! button in the center of the page to create an account in the system. You will need an active email address in order to
complete this step of the process.
- In the main menu on the left-hand side, click the Applicant Home link at the top of the list. This will switch the main menu to a new list of options. Click the second link in
this list - Applications - to move forward in the process.
- On this page, you'll need to click the Create Application button on the far right to continue. The application has eight steps. The last step is the references section. Fill out
- The application asks for your full 9-digit zip code in multiple places. If you do not know your full 9-digit zip code, click here to find it.
- If the application gives you an error, it’s usually a mistyped mailing or email address or a section has not been completed. Re-read the instructions to resolve any issues.
- For the Reference Section, you must add the contact information for your references into the application prior to finishing this section. Your references will be sent an email from
AmeriCorps asking them to add their recommendation of you to the application. Note: Your reference recommendations do not have to be submitted by the recommender prior to
your initial application submission to United Way of Porter County.
- Make sure the application is complete where all of the boxes above the application are checked. You can verify completion by going to the application tab on the left (leaving the
application screen) and then viewing “Application 1” where it will say “Complete” or “Incomplete” next to the application hyperlink on the right.
- Once you have completed the tasks above, you will now submit the application to the United Way of Porter County AmeriCorps program. Click Applicant Home again on the left hand
side of the page. A new menu should appear with the option called Search Listings.
- Select Search Listings. In the middle of the page, look for this box:
- The Program Type is “AmeriCorps State/National” and our organization is “United Way of Porter County”.
- Please make sure to select the 2018-2019 listing as the 2017-2018 listing will not let you apply.
- When you have completed the submission process, email Maddie Grimm, United Way AmeriCorps Program Director, for verification and to
set up an interview.