This program will begin on Tuesday, February 16, and will be offered virtually. CDC COVID protocol will be enforced. You must wear a face mask at all times when interacting
with our volunteers. If you are required to enter the building, you will need to have your temperature taken and maintain 6 feet of distance. No public restrooms will be available.
We are working diligently to make this service available to you virtually. Please comply with all directions. Thank you for your patience and cooperation!
Instructions & Forms
1) All documents and instructions noted below are also available at any Porter County Public Library branch or Westchester Public Library branch by picking up a VITA tax
packet. If you do not have a printer, we suggest picking up a packet.
IMPORTANT: You are responsible for providing authentic copies of your tax documents either with your own printer/copier or from a public outlet, such as the Porter County
Public Library or a local business like Staples. Any costs associated with obtaining these copies are at your expense.
Without proper document copies, we can’t prepare your return.
2) You must print and fill out ALL forms noted below for us to help file your taxes. If you do not have access to a printer, pick up a VITA tax packet at any Porter County Public Library branch or Westchester Public Library branch. Print and fill out each form
3) Once you have completed these forms, call 219.464.3583 x108 to schedule a drop-off appointment.
4) When you come to your drop-off appointment, you need to bring the following documentation with you:
- All documents noted in #2 above, completely filled out as directed.
- COPIES of all your tax documents:
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-NEC, 1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Statement (if purchased from the Affordable Care Act marketplace)
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a voided copy of a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying numbers such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Original social security cards or original Form 1099SSA for everyone on your tax return
- Original photo ID for you and spouse, if applicable
NOTE: If this is the first time you are having your taxes provided by our service, a copy of your 2019 taxes is required to help us complete your 2020 tax return.
IMPORTANT: We cannot do your tax returns until you have all documents in your possession. If your social security cards are lost, you must apply for new cards with the
Social Security Administration. YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS AND PHOTO IDS WILL BE RETURNED AT YOUR DROP-OFF
5) Day of drop-off appointment: Pull into one of the 4 designated VITA parking spots. Call the phone number listed on the sign and follow all instructions to drop off your paperwork.
When your return is complete, you will be called to set up a brief return visit to:
- Sign form 8879 giving authorization for your taxes to be filed electronically (if filing jointly both parties must be present)
- Receive a printed copy of your completed return
If you have questions, email email@example.com or call 219.464.3583 x. 108.